Cornerstone OnDemand's analytics tool can, at times, seem overwhelming, especially if you are a little unsure of what data you need.
When creating a custom report to fit your needs, here is a simple three-step approach to make your life easier.
STEP 1: Think About The Data You Want.
- Do I want data about a User/Item or an Action/Task that has been performed?
Knowing this helps you determine whether you need a Transcript Report versus a Training Report, or a Performance Report versus a Performance Review Report. Nuances are important.
- What specific information do I want in the report?
Sometimes it's enough to include only the User's name in a report, but many times you also want to include the User's Position, Location or Manager's name. It's important to identify whether you want to look at data from multiple Cornerstone clouds vs. a single cloud (e.g., only Cornerstone Learning).
- Is there a limit to the data I want?
You can set a filter depending on the purpose of your report. Maybe you want to see data only for a specific Location or Division, or you want to include only active Users.
STEP 2: Build The Report.
Now that you've decided what data you want, it's time to actually build your report!
First you need to identify the report type. This can sometimes cause confusion so here are a few tricks to remember:
- If you choose a Transcript Report, you'll see Learning Object (LO) data associated with a User. If you choose a Training Report, you'll see only Learning Object data.
- Training Status is the LO in the catalog. Transcript Status is the LO's status for the User. User status is not about the LO.
- Organizational Unit IDs are always listed as Refs. For example, a Division ID is reported as a Division Ref.
Next, you need to locate the actual fields you'll need in your report. With the multitude of options available in Cornerstone, this can be a bit challenging. Here are a few tips:
- Use the Search box and type in the field name. This is faster than trying to locate the field under the various category headings.
- Another option is to type the field in the report preview area.
- Remember to set your filters to limit what data is being returned.
Then you'll want to check the preview to confirm your needed data is being returned. If it's a large amount, make sure to change the Max number of records value.
Finally, use a consistent naming convention and folder structure to simplify finding and running the report again in the future.
STEP 3: Cross-Check Your Report Against The Data You Originally Identified.
Now that you've built and saved the report, check the output to ensure you have the needed data. If this is a report that you will need on a regular basis, schedule the report to deliver weekly, monthly or whatever timeframe you choose.
Need More Help?
Tribridge offers Managed Services for Cornerstone OnDemand. Our certified experts provide a little-or a lot-of extra help when you need it most, from simplifying daily tasks and increasing user adoption to guiding talent management strategies and integrating new Cornerstone features. We're here to assist you with your Cornerstone system so that you can focus your resources on strategic initiatives and concentrate on what drives your business.
Watch our video, Getting the Most Out of Cornerstone.